PG Music Home
Posted By: Oom Karel OBS settings for singing - 02/27/24 02:14 PM
Hi,
I am venturing into the as yet murky waters of music videos, more specifically, content for my social media platforms to promote my music. I have decided on OBS as the video recording software, and after much mixing and matching, the setup is a Behringer dynamic mic to USB via a fit for purpose Behringer interface cable, and everything works perfectly, so far. I have not got to the part where the video and audio might be out of sync, but I will deal with that bridge.
So the backtrack, which is MP3 feeds into OBS directly from the soundcard, and the mic also, but on a different track. My longtime problem is still to make the vocals and the backtrack blend as an integrated mix.
Knowing and trusting my respected fellow BIAB users to be honest and give good constructive feedback together with practical tips, here is a short clip as an initial trial for you to crit: OBS try
Thank you guys.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: OBS settings for singing - 02/27/24 02:39 PM
One choice is to use a virtual audio mixer inside your computer. One I've heard of but not used is +++ VoiceMeeter +++

Another choice is to feed the audio streams into a DAW then send the DAW audio output to OBS.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: OBS settings for singing - 02/28/24 01:43 PM
The vocal in your clip doesn't sound like it's part of the music. It sets apart from the music. Like it's in a different space.

To get it cohesive, you should add the music to the project in a DAW and have it run through the same reverb and FX as the music and the level of the vocal should be appropriate to the genre of the music in the mix.
That will go a long way towards having the music sound like it's a group that was recorded in the same room rather than a patchwork.
Posted By: Oom Karel Re: OBS settings for singing - 03/02/24 06:29 PM
Thank you so much. You packed A LOT of info in that advice, and I will have to go and unpack it slowly. I realised that my vocals and the back track didn't blend, hence my asking for the comments. I was hoping to do everything in OBS during recording and not mess around with a DAW, Band-in-a-box, daw, obs.....so much to learn!
© PG Music Forums